Thursday, February 18, 2010

Science Fair

Dakota and her friend, Willow, spent hours and hours working on their project, with help from Willow's parents. They showed the effect of mentos mixed with soda, which turned out really great!

While Dakota was busy working at Willows, Rian decided to create her own science project. I kind of ignored her attempts because I was under the impression that the science fair was for 4th and 5th graders only. I figured it would come home with her the very same day she took it in, but didn't say anything because I didn't want to hurt her feelings (no...I would let the school officials do that!). But I was definitely misinformed!

It wasn't until we got to the science fair that I realized that her project was in fact set out, alongside all the other lower grade students'. She (hand) wrote a report on Manitees, and used foam, feathers and markers to create a cute little manitee inside a shoe box. It definitely stood out; it was 1/4 the size of all the others, and was clearly the result of a child creating without the assistance of a caring parent. Of course, as her mother, I felt absolutely horrible! But I was also so proud of her for completing it all on her own, and promised that next year I would help her create something just as amazing!

4 comments:

Kayla Fay said...

I think it's great that she had the initiative and resources to do this without assistance! She did all on her own what usually takes two parents, four trips to Wal-Mart, several emails to the teacher, and $97 to pull off. She probably learned way more without - ahem - 'a caring parent'.

And that's where I'm taking issue with you. You obviously are a wonderful parent!

They say with motherhood, guilt is delivered with the placenta. I'm betting you would have felt guilty had you helped her, too. "Was I being pushy - helping to much..."

We have four sons, and one year they all had projects to do. (The youngest wasn't required to do one - he just wanted to...) By the time we got to the fourth project, I was DONE. We sent this child to the neighbors to do his. And yes, I still feel guilty.

I write about science projects for a living, and I love seeing kids who enter the fair like your daughter has done. Bravo to you both!

Kayla Fay
Middle School Science Projects

Judy said...

Have I ever told you about Bree's hammerhead shark that she made all by herself because I couldn't seem to focus in on what the entire school was doing??? There were models of fish there that could have been in an art museum. She hammered nails in a board in the shape of a shark...get it...hammerhead shark!!!

Judy said...

OOPS...forgot to mention Dakota and Willow's project...it looked wonderful, and they looked very proud. But no prouder than Rian did!

brianne said...

Yea, reading your blog seemed vaguely familiar to me...

I guess "not caring about your youngest daughter's science fair project" runs in the family!!

But seriously, my hammerhead shark was bonkers awesome. Just as Rian's cute little handwritten report and picture are also bonkers awesome.

And Koty is just so grown up it makes me want to sit on a knife.