Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A couple weeks ago, Rian was assigned the lesson for Family Home Evening. She wanted to do it all by herself. As I cleaned up after dinner, I watched her pace around the family room with a Friend magazine held tightly to her chest. She would often stop and peek into the magazine. I finally realized that she was trying to memorize something so that she could recite it in front of the family. Here is what she read...
"My home is not the wood. My home is not the brick.
My home's a loving mother who soothes me when I'm sick.
My home is not the garden, or the place we park the car.
My home's a gentle father who loves us as we are.
My home is not the windows. My home is not the doors.
My home is my big brother who helps me with the chores.
My home is not the chimney or the smoke that billows there.
My home is all our family as we bow our heads in prayer.
My home is more than just a house with walls and roof above.
My home is where my family lives in peace, in joy, in love."
(June 2006 Friend)
She then added her own poem to finish off her lesson...
"My family is a sister, brother, mother and father
who love me and care about me.
They bring me comfort and joy.
They teach me right from wrong.
That makes me happy, they are happy being my family."
I wiped more than a few tears from my face and reassured Dave that she did indeed come up with the entire lesson all on her own. It was a far more special lesson than either of us could have given that night. Rian can be challenging and stubborn, but she has a special spirit that I am excited to watch grow into a very strong testimony.

3 comments:

Gavin and Ashley Curtis said...

That is seriously the sweetest! You should be so proud of her!

Judy said...

She's such a sweet girl. I can just imagine her walking around with the Friend magazine clutched to her chest. When she gets an idea, she is so focused on it.

brianne said...

Oh wow, I'm crying! She's an old soul. That is so impressive. I love that little girl.