Sunday, October 19, 2008

Let's go shopping!

A couple of weeks ago, my nighbor shared with me a new discipline technique that she found on the internet. It has been working wonderfully for her, so I decided to give it a try! Each time the girls do something that is praiseworthy- anything from good behavior, doing an extra chore without being asked, or just helping a family member out- they get a dollar (fake Monopoly money). If they are naughty, it is their punishment to lose a dollar. It works really well to keep them in line, all I have to do is warn them with the threat of losing a dollar and they usually shape right up!

Each Sunday they get to go shopping in mom's store. Most of the goodies are toys and treats purchased at the Dollar Store (I love that place!). But the girls each picked out a Webkinz (now at Walgreens for just $7!) that they want. Those, of course, are much more expensive in mom's store so they have to chose whether or not to spend their money on the little things or save up for their Webkinz. Last week each of them bought something small and saved the rest of their money. Tonight, they both decided to hold on to their hard earned dollars and try to earn lots of money this week so they can take their Webkinz home next Sunday. Wish them luck!

8 comments:

Brett said...

Kim gives me a dollar every time the boys give me a reason to yell at them - and I don't.

I'm buying a new car next week.

Judy said...

Way to go, Brett!!!

This new method of discipline sounds great, Alisa...except you're not supposed to shop on Sunday!!!

(You didn't mention how many dollars little Jack earned???)

Papa said...

Koty and Rian just need to see Papa - I will take care of them.

brianne said...

Dad is pretty good at handing out the bucks.

That IS a great idea, though I can't imagine that taking away the bucks is ever a pretty scene.

Tori said...

My SIL is doing something similar. They start out with $3 in nickles at the beginning of the week. Every time they whine, say a bad word, disobey, etc., a nickle goes out of their jar and into their mom's jar. At the end of the week, they get to spend whatever is left.

The Ridings said...

Cute! You crafty thing!

Megan said...

I love this idea! I'm just wondering how young is too young to start!

Kari said...

Will Papa take care of me, too? I promise I'll do an extra chore :)