Monday, May 5, 2008

What a weekend!

This weekend, my sister Megan and her husband Chris welcomed a new baby to their family! Because my parents were in Virginia celebrating my baby sister's graduation (CONGRATS, BREE!), I was chosen, by default, to go to California and help out with my 2 year old neice, Emma. The flight there was very difficult. Jack wasn't quite cooperating for the 30 mins that we got to sit on the plane waiting for them to change the busted tire (apparently they don't notice those things until you are already boarded!). He decided to take out his aggressions on the pour souls around us. First repeatedly and violently kicking the seat directly in front of us, and the legs of the two wonderful people on either sides of us (I really couldn't have asked for nicer strangers to sit next to). When I tried to restain his legs, and arching his back and screaming at the top of his lungs didn't work, he decided to chuck his FULL bottle of milk over the seat and at the heads of the men in front of us. I was literally dripping beads of sweat by the time we took off! He absolutely crashed as soon as we hit the air and slept the entire flight. I didn't dare move my body an inch for fear of waking him up, so by the time we landed I couldn't feel my arm! So worth it! Here are pics from our time in Cali...




Now for the trip home... much better! I let Jack run crazy for about 30 minutes through the terminal. He tripped a few people but I just didn't care at that point. He did great on the plane and I was feeling better about myself as a mom. People on the plane gave me lots of nice compliments and the flight attendant even gave me "kudos". We landed around 8:30pm and as I walked through the terminal with my head held high and pride in my face I glanced over to see my handsome husband and two beautiful daughters. Oh no wait, those are orphans. No no, they are my daughters! Picture this... hair not combed for 3 days, wearing their JAMMIES, Rian with a tattoo on her forehead (thanks, mom) and NO SHOES!!! I was so embarassed I couldn't even make myself greet them with a hug and kiss. I walked 5 feet behind them the entire way out to the garage. Oh, and Dakota had to use the restroom before we left- gross!

8 comments:

Katie said...

ha ha!! loved this post. Dont you love moments like that on the plane when you know everyone around you is thinking you are a terrible mom and you are on the verge of crying or screaming yourself. I've had plenty of those moments and I am just glad my kids are getting a little older and the tantrums are getting fewer. I'm glad you had a great time and that Jack did better on the way home.

Judy said...

It was so nice that you and Jack could be here with Megan and Emma. I know it made those days much less traumatic for Emma.

However, having said that, Emma seems to taken on some of Jack's personality traits and eating habits. Could it have happened that fast????

Blog Guru said...

Wow, what a trip. In Dave's defense we saw the girls all day on Sunday and they looked beautiful. The reason they were in their jammies the following day is because Dave was in a rush and couldn't find his keys and in a mad rush to get out the door mistakenly forgot the jammies. As for the tattoo on Rians forhead, I told your mom you should send a picture in to the restaurant and demand compensation for advertising on your kids :)

brianne said...

where are the pictures of your raggy little girls? I would love to see that! Man I am never having kids.

Oh yea, and plane maintenance sucks. I got on a plane once and they found out that one of the engines didn't work. Seriously...shouldn't that have been discovered long before I got near that plane?

Who is Blog Guru? By the way they are defending Dave, you would think it is Mary...Mary? is that you?

Brett said...

Great post!

But...

Dave told me that he was going to get the girls looking terrible right before you arrived so that you would realize how needed you are. Kinda like an early Mother's Day gift.

Cameron Family said...

Yeah, that doesn't work. Remember the girls' trip to NY? My kids didn't have a bath in the 5 days I was gone and Dakota was found chewing through a banana peel out of pure desperation! But I'd do it all over again, and again, and again...

Kim said...

I love that story about the plane. There probably isn't a mom anywhere who doesn't cringe at the thought of taking her toddler on a plane. I'm glad you had such a great trip in CA.

Kari said...

Laughing hysterically over this post - even after I've heard you tell it!! I just wish you had taken pictures of the orphans your husband brought to the airport ;) I can only imagine what my girls looked like at school the Friday I was in Florida!