Monday, May 19, 2008

...and my life is complete!

My poor daughter. All Dakota wants right now is a dog. She begs us morning, noon and night. She can literally think of nothing else. She has had her dad sign a contract promising to get her one if he makes "alot of money" next year (that amount never was specified-he's found a loophole), she checks craiglist daily and has even searched "cheap dogs for sale" on google. I have tried to explain to her that the price of the dog isn't the entire issue, but she doesn't quite hear me. So today she drafted herself a "to do" list. And here it is...
  • Go count money
  • Go on craigslist
  • Look for dog
  • Beg dad for dog
  • Get the dog
  • Show Kailee
  • Run away with Kailee and the dog (when asked, she told us this actually meant run away from Kailee's little brother because he always bugs them)
I explained to her that if we did get a dog, we would probably just go to the pound and try to rescue one. So, being the little perfectionist that she is, she came up with a new "to do" list...
  • Go to pound
  • Find a dog I want
  • Go home and play with the dog
  • Find a place for it to sleep
  • Find a few things for the dog
  • Name the dog
  • AND MY LIFE IS COMPLETE!
Tonight when we went into her room for scripture and prayer, she was listing all the things a dog would need so that she knows just how much money she'll have to earn. It's so irritating, but she is starting to wear me down. I'm about to give in just to shut her up!!! Unfortunately, Dave isn't quite there yet. He isn't home enough to get as annoyed as myself. Any suggestions?

9 comments:

Judy said...

If reading her lists doesn't break him down...nothing will!

brianne said...

alisa...get that poor girl a dog.

Katie said...

I always tell my kids they have to be old enough and responsible enough to take care of a dog/pet all by themselves. Which in my mind means much older. But Dakota seems so responsible- she is covering all bases. Wow! How cute. That would break me down too.

Brett said...

Get a chihuahua... it won't survive more than 24 hours in the same house with Jack so it won't cost you much.

Cameron Family said...

We have a signed agreement! Until we become rich (6 figures) their won't be a dog is this house.

Kari said...

Seriously one of the funniest things I've read in a while ... at least since all of the notes from the dentist ;) I thought of you when I drove to Costco and saw people selling puppies out of their pick-up truck!! Was very tempted to stop and pick one up for Koty so she could have a complete life and move on to bigger and better things!

Blog Guru said...

We got a dog... cute and fun but a bit of work for sure. There is the food you have to buy, the dog toys, dog bowls, shots, neutered, a kennel or a place for it to sleep. Then you've got to potty train and this is not fun. Make sure to pick everything up because that little puppy is going to want to chew on things like your wii remote which isn't good. Now what about when you are trying to sleep at 6am and all he does is yelp? Now instead of 3 kids you have 4. Because even though Koty says she's going to do everything you know that's just not possible because there are things you are just going to have to do for that cute little puppy. There is also that specialized hearing they have when you call them to come down stairs because you are running late and have to drop everything to go and get that little puppy. One more thing you just never know when a neighbor kid is not going to know what it means when your puppy growls and gets bitten on the lip as happened to us last night. I wanted a puppy so bad for my kids but it's only been 2 weeks and already it's because much more than I expected. So is it worth it to see the smiles on your kids faces when they get the dog? I think so... Ohhh the things we do for our kids.

Beckie said...

I love your blog. It will be fun too keep up with your family.
Is Dakota twice as tall as when she was in my preschool? She's so grown up! Please tell her Ms.Beckie says, "Hi"!
My vote on the dog.......hold out as long as you can. They are fun in the beginning, but you'll be the one to either take care of it or to constantly remind the kids to do it.
If puppies weren't so cute, the decision would be easier. ;)

Tori said...

Here's my suggestion: Come and get our dog. She can have him...if she can get him away from my kids. I may have to sneak him over to her. ;)